Thursday 11 February 2016

Saul Leiter & Ors

The Photographer's Gallery is currently hosting 3 main exhibitions - a Saul Leiter retrospective, an installation by Rosangelo Renno and photographs documenting the Easter Uprising 1916. 

The Photographer's Gallery is one of my favourite places in London.  A variety of exhibitions that change relatively quickly so I feel a fairly regular impetus to visit.  Free admission before midday and only 3 quid thereafter.  They also have a really great bookshop and a print sales room (I wish!). 

The Saul Leiter retrospective is the exhibition I enjoyed the most this time, though I hadn't heard of him before the visit.  An American, a painter by trade, and a real proponent of colour photography.  I really enjoyed Leiter's use of reflection and framing in the images, and hand colouring over the top which really highlighted his skills as a painter.  

Saul Leiter, London, Photographer's Gallery
This one is my favourite image from the exhibition - ignore the reflection of other attendees!  I love the framing of the umbrella, the flashes of other colour in the image and the way my eye is drawn in different directions by the geometry of the image. 

No comments:

Post a Comment