Saturday, 16 July 2016

The Carpino

Or the sweater that took a long time to knit.  

I cast this jumper on in late April, to have a green sweater for Spring.  Then I got distracted (which is rare as  I usually cast on and focus on a couple of projects at any one time).   Instead, I knitted my linen shawl, a red cardigan and a shawl for someone else.  Then I picked up the green sweater. 

I had already performed the trickiest of knitting gymnastics when I started again. I decided to lower the front neckline so had to knit the lace pattern to include increases, and flat (rather than in the round immediately). I managed it, and ended up knitting the chart from left to right, rather than the usual right to left.  Thank goodness I scribbled a note on the pattern to that effect.

I only did a couple of sets of decreases after the bust, as I prefer some positive ease around the waist of a jumper.  I did the ‘normal’ amount of increases for my hips (6 sets, 4 on each set) and then the usual decrease of about 10% of the total number of stitches in the round immediately before I did the ribbing around the bottom. I dropped down 2 needle sizes, rather than just 1, to do the ribbing and am very pleased with how it looks.  I did just 5 rounds of ribbing around the neck, rather than the I cord called for in the pattern.

Three-quarter sleeves, also as per usual for me, though the body is even longer than normal.  I thought the lace pattern may grow a little width wise when worn, so there is some allowance there.Interestingly, the garment very clearly biases when it is laid flat.  I presume mine is going in the opposite direction to most others as I knit the chart opposite to most.

Wednesday, 13 July 2016

A Cos knock off

I saw a cute, summery dress in Cos that combined knit and woven fabrics – a tee shirt style, with a bright pop of fabric by way of a large hem band.  Then my friend Juju saw the same dress and created a great tutorial describing how to make your own!

The tutorial is very easy to follow, and worked well – though I was using a crew neck/set in sleeve pattern, rather than a raglan. 

It was also very fast to sew, as it’s basically an oversized tee shirt – the key element being that the hem band matched across the side seams, and the neck band was tight enough (my least favourite part). I added a small breast pocket in the hem fabric, to carry the colour up to my face.

Ultimately, the style is not terribly flattering on me so it will likely be relegated to a wear around the house, or to the shops type dress – or to the beach when I go and visit Mum, but it is super comfortable and fun.

Saturday, 9 July 2016

Where I can be found

Making the most of the sunshine

Lying in the grass


Easy reads

For as long as the sun shines...