Saturday 9 January 2016

It's all in the details

I knit myself this cardigan at the end of last (northern hemisphere) summer as part of a challenge to knit the Pantone colours of the season (Fall 2015).   I chose 'reflecting pool' (a blue/black for the hem band, collar and pocket detail, and 'camium orange' for the cuffs - 2 of the 10 colours. 

The grey colour I chose for the body wasnt a fall colour but a good neutral to use as a base - and I didn't have a grey cardigan at the time. The grey yarn is Debbie Bliss Fine Donegal and the trim is Jamieson's Shetland Spindrift in Dark Navy and Flame. 


Le facteur, ravelry, knitting, jamieson's, spindrift
I used a pattern that I have used many times before, the Le Facteur by Sarah Fama (who does not appear to be releasing new designs currently).  This pattern is very well written and gives different options for cardigans and pullovers and different necklines.  The one element that is missing is a sleeve pattern because the various versions in the pattern only have short sleeves.

I cast on at the collar and knit the body, and ordered a third ball of the grey whilst knitting!  After the main body was done I picked up and knit the collar - and just kept going until I had a shawl collar.  Then, just to gild the lil, I decided to add pockets with colourwork details. Finally, I added contrast leather buttons - navy on the cuffs and green on the body. 


Le facteur, ravelry, knitting, jamieson's, spindrift
The grey yarn has held up very well, with copious amount of wear!

I enjoyed knitting and creating this cardigan - I say creating because although I used the pattern I extended it in every which way.  In fact, creating this cardigan led me to rashly declare to my husband that I was 'done' with knitting patterns. 

As you can see from my Ravelry notebook, I did not stick to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment