Late last year, Anna Maltz (aka Sweaterspotter), released Penguins, a book of knitting patterns. The patterns aren’t slavish to the topic, but are fun and whimsical, focussing on an element or a colour to link it back to the overarching themes. As well as 11 patterns, the book contains loads of lovely photographs.
lucky enough to be able to attend the book launch, which included an
amazing penguin inspired cake, as well as penguin inspired savouries!
There was also a trunk show, and I was able to try on the Aptenodytes – a cardigan that I would usually bypass as the short waterfall-style
fronts are not very flattering. However, the pattern includes a couple
of buttons and buttonholes – minor amendments you may thing, but
essential. This means that the cardigan fronts can be buttoned into a
low hanging cowl neck, or (the more flattering on me) a relatively
shallow cowl that sits just below the collarbones, which I thought
looked great on me!
knitted 2 patterns from the book so far. I knitted the Flower King (or Flower Power in my Ravelry notebook). To me, this pattern has a
Marimekko feel, and I am a sucker for that brand! I used a variety of yarns that I had in stash - including some Wollmeise DK for the flower. I added an extra segment of 20 stitches, as the yarns I used
were a little lighter than the yarn called for in the pattern. Also, I
had recently knit another colourwork hat using the Wollmeise DK with 120
stitches in the body of the hat, so I knew that it would fit well.
This resulted in a flower with 6 petals, which is not as aesthetically
pleasing as the original 5 petals, but certainly something I can live
with to (a) knit from stash and (b) end up with a hat that fits.
second pattern I knit is Fledgling, which is a mitten pattern in Anna’s
book. In my version the end product is socks. I used the mitten tip
pattern on the toes and altered the increase rate so that there were
increases on every second row, and I simply extended the chequered
pattern on the underside of the toes to go over a few extra stitches,
and for a few extra rows. I also incorporated Clare Devine’s Ossa sock
pattern (more on this later, but I have a tendency to combine patterns
where I can so I can knit all the patterns) for the foot and simply
followed Clare’s instructions, converting to toe up, rather than cuff
I changed it again for
the leg, as I want to try and incorporate ribbing into the legs of socks
where possible. I’ve noticed that my older pairs of socks are saggy and
baggy around the leg after just a short while of wearing, so I hope a
ribbed leg will hold it tighter for longer. So I modified the Ossa
pattern so the slipped stitches ran up the legs vertically, rather than
twisted as on the foot, to leave room for some ribbing.
Knit in coral and grey, the little penguin’s face is not as obvious as in Anna’s lovely mittens, but I am still enamoured!